Detroit Teachers Uprising

Booteefool
Booteefool

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/detroit-teachers-close-schools-2nd-day-mass-sick-38839497

Detroit school classes resumed Wednesday after teachers received assurances that they will be fully paid for the school year. Two consecutive days of mass teacher sick-outs closed the schools and gave nearly 45,000 schoolchildren unscheduled days off.

Meanwhile, a Michigan panel has approved a $500 million plan that would bail out and overhaul Detroit's ailing school district, which will run out of money at the end of June. The educators stopped short of calling their action a strike, instead saying they called the sick-out in response to an announcement that the district wouldn't be able to pay teachers who deferred part of their salaries to get checks during the summer months.

Teachers returned to classrooms on Wednesday after they received assurances from Detroit Public Schools' transitional manager Judge Steven Rhodes that they will be fully paid for the school year. Some teachers had threatened to strike if they were not paid.

The state approved $47.8 million in emergency money in March to keep the school district operating, but that amount only pays the bills through June 30. A House committee on Tuesday approved a $500 million plan to restructure Detroit's ailing school district by paying off enormous operating debt and creating a new district.

TL:DR

Pissed with Porky's bullshit, Detroit teachers protested for more school funding and more pay. Government "promises" more support, but we know that isn't going to happen. :^)

All urls found in this thread:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/detroit-teachers-close-schools-2nd-day-mass-sick-38839497
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160503/NEWS01/160509936/2-more-guilty-pleas-in-detroit-school-corruption-scandal
SomethingNew
SomethingNew

Slash funding for years
Oh no we're out of money for education :^(
If only some bright entrepreneur could privatize our schools :^)

Neoliberalism 101

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@SomethingNew

B-b-but they said the wealth would trickle down!

;^)

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

Bump 'cuz you burgers can't see all opportunity in this.

girlDog
girlDog

DETROIT COMMUNE

Skullbone
Skullbone

I have the feeling that Detroid is becoming either Robocop, or the boiling cauldron of revolution, ready to blow up…

Methnerd
Methnerd

@Skullbone

This leftypol's time to take over Detroit. Viva la gommie revolution!

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@SomethingNew
You called?

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

@Booteefool
Anyone who works for the government is a kind of parasite anyway so who cares.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

"uprising"

The DPS district profile for the 2015-16 school year posted online shows that while the graduation rate has increased slightly in the last three years, student academic performance in general remains a national embarrassment for virtually all grade levels.

The combined results for students of all grades tested last spring shows a mere 2.9 percent met basic proficiency standards for science, 7.9 percent reached that threshold for math, 8.1 were proficient in Social Studies, and 14.6 met standards in English Language Arts.

Enough said.

5mileys
5mileys

@Evil_kitten
he got btfo in the mayoral run btw

cum2soon
cum2soon

@SomethingNew
what exactly are you implying, user?

w8t4u
w8t4u

@cum2soon

Either the teachers are shit or the kids are dumb.

Probably both.

inb4
dese kids can't read cuz da auto industry left

idontknow
idontknow

@haveahappyday
Le guberment iz not le people, you guise!

@SomethingNew
It's the people, not the system!

Anymore memes?

TreeEater
TreeEater

@idontknow
It's the people, not the system!

What's the system comprised of?

Are these teachers and students not people?

Is it the books and desks that're making it so only 3% of Detroit students have the minimum proficiency in science? The walls and toilets making it so only 8% can do basic math?

Firespawn
Firespawn

@idontknow
In capitalism, it isn't.

WebTool
WebTool

@TreeEater
MY GOD!

The system is made from capitalists, with capitalist rules and capitalist programms.

When the people apply the rules the system gave them, and the rules fail, it's the rules. Not the people.

Blame the game, not the player!

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@WebTool
public schools are run by capitalists
97% of Detroit students can't do basic science because of capitalist teachers

I'm pretty sure there were 1 room schoolhouses 200 years ago without books that had better educated students than Detroit.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@BlogWobbles
MY GOD! IT'S PURE IDEOLOGY!

Teachers don't decide how the system works (directives and so on), neither tests and so on.

The 'Murican educational system as a whole has problems. Not just detroid, that yes, is also shit because economy and yes, this also counts in the outcome of education.

NO! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE INDIVIDUAL!

I SEE NEOLIBERALISM!

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@w8t4u
it's poverty, you fucking retard

JunkTop
JunkTop

@w8t4u
@TreeEater
@BlogWobbles
What, exactly, do you think it is?

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@w8t4u
This happens when White Porky forces African Americans into shitty socioeconomic failure then turns to
muh nagger stole muh bike

after they turn to dealing drugs to pay the bills. Take it from a black person herself.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@BunnyJinx
That's still kind of an extreme explanation. I think people just don't care anymore and feel beaten down, and nobody wants to admit that it's something easy to sympathize with.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@StonedTime
Teachers don't decide how the system works (directives and so on), neither tests and so on.

Other schools in Michigan do a lot better than Detroit while using the same cirriculum and administering the same tests.

NO! INDIVIDUALS CANT MAKE THEIR OWN MISTAKES! IT'S ALWAYS CAPITALISM'S FAULT
PURE IDEOLOGY

@BunnyJinx
We're talking about teachers and children. Teaching at a state school is a comfy unionized job that requires a college education, different from stealing bikes and dealing drugs.

The problem is either the teachers, students, or both. You're a racist for implying black people are never responsible for their own problems. At least I afford blacks enough agency to make their own mistakes.

The African American school administration isn't great either, they're actually in the midst of a corruption scandal because they were scamming the state: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160503/NEWS01/160509936/2-more-guilty-pleas-in-detroit-school-corruption-scandal

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Ignoramus
Other schools in Michigan do a lot better than Detroit while using the same cirriculum
The African American school administration isn't great either, they're actually in the midst of a corruption scandal

r u tard

StonedTime
StonedTime

@Ignoramus

You're a racist for implying black people are never responsible for their own problems. At least I afford blacks enough agency to make their own mistakes.

Kek, if you actually read the comment you would have known I was writing from a /pol/ack / white bourgeoisie standpoint. Learn to fucking read.

We're talking about teachers and children. Teaching at a state school is a comfy unionized job that requires a college education, different from stealing bikes and dealing drugs.

What the fuck you think I made this thread?! If you actually looked in fucking context, it's all part of the vicious cycle.

White porky holds government and doesn't get a shit about your education.

You need money and welfare isn't enough.

Drug dealing makes $$$, while criminal free jobs required a good education or at least how to fucking read.

You have good chance of dieing 'cuz Porky cops were pissing their panties.

muh he looks like a criminal/I felt threated

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Ignoramus
@StonedTime
TFW you are both idiots ( ok @StonedTime
not as much), cause you fall in ID trap and think its onlt "White-Black".

CAPITALISM DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE!
IT FUCK PUBLIC EDUCATION FOR EVERYONE!

And neoliberalism fucks the corpse of education.

Teaching is unionized
That is another problem, and it's actually the problem with modern unions, that are corrupt as fuck and do not serve the workers or society.
And they cannot be change for better either with liberal continuation of old shit or Trump going full neolib and shuting down public education entirely.

You need to change the system at it's core.

Do you wanna? No you don't! You just want to complain about "oh, white capitalists are bad!" "oh, niggaz be stupid".

SLIME!

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content