Dragonbox Pyra Preorder started

StonedTime
StonedTime

Linux UMPC (~3DS size)
ARM processor, 2GB Ram (maybe 4GB)
modular (soc/ram chip easily removable, maybe x86 chip in the future)
500-625€ +taxes (save later costs by upgrading only the SOC)
yay or nay?

All urls found in this thread:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/
CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@StonedTime
seems to be a decent deal, around the price of a smart phone without the economies of scale aspect.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

Looks like a neat idea, and I have a soft spot for clear plastic handhelds. Too bad I'm a poorfag.
The modular stuff sounds cool, but it has to be sucessful for them to make more modules. I'd like to see this sort of thing become a standard though, like the RasPi did for credit card sized SBCs.
Are they still using PowerVR? Have they sorted out graphics drivers for it?

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

Isn't that just a Pandora?

TechHater
TechHater

@VisualMaster
Hardware 3D acceleration wont be there when released afaik, but there should lay a prototype on a TI desk already to fix that.

eGremlin
eGremlin

@ZeroReborn
successor of the pandora

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@StonedTime
Is it possible to run windows on that thing?

Illusionz
Illusionz

@GoogleCat
No only in Wine

girlDog
girlDog

it looks gorgeous, but what's the point of it? I know I'm only ever going to use it at home, kids would be better off with raspi so at least you could pretend they were coding blinkenlights and shit like that.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@girlDog
Maybe you don't leave your house, but some people do.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Sounds nice, but that's way to much money. For that much money I could:
1. buy several laptops
2. build several laptops
3. build a desktop capable of playing high end video gaymes.

Not worth it.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@girlDog
install arch linux on it
install bspwm, vim, urxvt and zsh
spend 20 hours ricing your .Xresources, .vimrc, bspwmrc, sxhkd and bar scripts
keep spamming ls -a even when you leave the house
demonstrate your sweet hacker scripts you downloaded from github to strangers on the bus
???
profit

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Bidwell
but then I'm driving my car, having a meal, working out, or doing the shopping.

where does cranking out half an our of SNES games fit into that?

like, there are DS and PSP exclusives for people who are into that kind of shit, what titles does the Pyra have to actually shift units?

@kizzmybutt
bus

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@Deadlyinx
If you see the Pyra as a device you can only play on, it is surely not the right device for you. A DS is also cheaper.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@PackManBrainlure
See, I thought about it from that angle too, and a bluetooth keyboard will do as much with the device I already have, plus custom socket SOC boards will cost as much if not more than a new phone/tablet.

DeathDog
DeathDog

@StonedTime
PowerVR GPU
They fucked up so hard.

Booteefool
Booteefool

@Sharpcharm
it is up to you if you want to carry a pyra or a phone plus a bluetoothkeyboard around. Speaking of it a SOC update might cost around 100€.

@DeathDog
low quantity and atleast some open hardware aspects really limit soc candidates.

whereismyname
whereismyname

@DeathDog
PowerVR GPU
They fucked up so hard.
It was literally there only option.

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@StonedTime
If I had money to burn, I'd be way into this. As my checking account currently stands, nay.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@StonedTime
ARM
Let me guess, chink SOC with proprietary drivers?

Evilember
Evilember

@girlDog
the way i see it, it fills the following:
-unlike a smartphone, keyboard and a proper computer OS. not so easy writing code on emacs and committing on git with a smartphone.
-unlike laptop, can be used anywhere, including standing in transport among normies. can't really do that with most laptops.

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

@StonedTime
Yeah, I saw this and the GPD Win 10 posted on /v/. If UMPC's made a comeback, I'd be really happy.

I don't like carrying around my laptop bag, and I like playing emulators and stuff on DOSBOX. So, this would be fantastic for me.

From what it seems like, the GPD Win 10 will have much better hardware than the Pyra, but the Pyra will almost certainly have better linux support. So, I'd probably choose the Pyra if I were to get one. Probably won't be buying either anytime soon though, because that's too much money to just throw around.

girlDog
girlDog

@Evilember
unlike a smartphone, keyboard and a proper computer OS. not so easy writing code on emacs and committing on git with a smartphone.
It's bearable with a bluetooth keyboard and a chroot/proot environment or Termux. I haven't tried phones with physical keyboards but they might be fine too. The operating system isn't a huge problem if you just want to write code in Emacs.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

It's a cool toy. If you want to actually get anything done, however, just get a real laptop.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@Sharpcharm
TI OMAP5 5432

RavySnake
RavySnake

@StonedTime
@CouchChiller

I'd buy that shit only because how awesome it looks.

xfce

muh nigga

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Gahhh... it's just the price. I'd definitely pick one up for 300-400 USD.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@TechHater
tfw I work at TI but don't know what do

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

If I have expendable cash I'd get one, reminds me of when PalmTops were a thing. Fuckin' expensive, but rightly so.

happy_sad
happy_sad

Why do these UMPCs always use cheap/outdated SoCs while Smartphones get all the good/most powerful latest Snapdragon shit?

hell, even a Snapdragon 600, which is dirt cheap nowadays and much more powerful, could've made a good contender, or even the cheaper ARMv8 Snapdragon 410

cum2soon
cum2soon

@happy_sad
They have a blog post about it. No one wanted to sell to them because they were not buying enough SoCs. I think Nvidia might have let them but they had to make the logic board in china and the pyra team wanted to keep production in Europe. I think they mentioned the German division of Samsung loved the idea and wanted them to use exynos cpus but it did not work out.

massdebater
massdebater

@cum2soon
No one wanted to sell to them because they were not buying enough SoCs.
That actually makes sense because chip makers want to keep the prices on SoCs down and the only way to do that is scale of economics

Still doesn't explain why they can't still use a more powerful chip thats not in wide circulation anymore though, like the Snapdragon 600

Techpill
Techpill

Four shoulder buttons
OH MUH DICK THEY GOT ALL THE SHOULDER BUTTONS IN.

PS2 EMULATION HERE WE COME.

Evilember
Evilember

@lostmypassword
But would they be open hardware?
Monads everyday

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@girlDog
bluetooth keyboard and a chroot/proot environment or Termux
Boy oh boy, you sure like to be exploited. Better jail those broadcasts commands.

@Evil_kitten
@Evil_kitten
Freedom demands a price? @MPmaster

@happy_sad
@massdebater
Why not make your own?
Tell me how that works out, in the next few years you take to not only design it, but consolidated with interested solders&factories, all the while your design has been obsoleted by a shiny newer processor

Control the market, control the game

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@TurtleCat
yea because with a small team you could totally invent the wheel new. Or better saying millions of wheels on a space of a squareinch.

takes2long
takes2long

@haveahappyday
This is designed almost exclusively for retro gaming on the go.

Of course it's a fucking toy.

MPmaster
MPmaster

@massdebater
Here is the post I was referring to I don't remember if they go over snapdragon stuff.

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/

massdebater
massdebater

@StonedTime
modular (soc/ram chip easily removable, maybe x86 chip in the future)
That's pretty awesome.

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content