Can you be nihilistic and hedonistic at the same time or does that not make any...

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

Can you be nihilistic and hedonistic at the same time or does that not make any sense?

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

Nihilism doesn't state that you should lay down and wait for death, it just says that doing so and not doing so would be equally "meaningful" externally and objectively.

Both philosophies are kind of restricted. One assumes that "purpose" and "meaning" are either concepts external to the human mind, and that no actions have purpose or meaning despite these concepts being constants of the cosmos, or that the fact that purpose and meaning are constructs of the mind, and that this somehow makes it non-existent objectively. Basically, nihilism assumes that external and internal are separate, that true separation exists (which is the only way to differentiate between perception of reality and reality in order to say that perception of reality =/= reality, in order to say that perception of reality - including the perception of significance - is not real significance) when that would require a god to define where one concept ends and another begins (which would be arbitrary regardless), which in turn would allow for the possibility of truly external purpose and significance.

Hedonism (popularly) differentiates between "pleasure" (popularly imagined as indulgence in short-lived bursts of neurotransmitters) and "happiness"/"love" and such. If you extend your hedonistoc philosophy to include ALL sensations that are perceived as positive, it's less retarded, but still only states that only that which you perceive as having value has any value to you. No shit.

Evilember
Evilember

@PurpleCharger
But to answer your question, you can say you're both, but because people will hear "nothing means anything, and I just eat, masturbate, drink, smoke and do drugs excessively because I'm a cool and edgy hedonist," I advise you to call yourself neither and accept reality for what it really is; the sum of things that happen (including perceived sensations) and the system that allows them to happen. There's nothing more to it until you get down to the duality vs non-duality level, which actually have substance to them, namely whether or not there is one singular concept that is the entirety of the universe, or two truly separate concepts in symbiosis. I'm with non-duality.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@Spazyfool
Congrats OP, you stumbled upon the truth. Despite the apologeticism of the first comment, nihilism really would have the one logical conclusion of lying down and suffering the horrible pangs of dehydration until death.

Nihilists are all in fact actually hedonists unless they are waiting to die. By continuing to eat and drink consistently and sufficiently, they place an obvious implicit hedonistic value in food and drink.

There are no nihilists, only hedonists who want to feel enlightened and disillusioned without actually thinking about anything.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Nothing matters so just please yaself since it's nice.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

I think hedonism gets slapped onto ideologies too easily these days. Since when are you not acting in your own self interest? Everything you will ever do comes back to what you wanted to have / feel.

SniperWish
SniperWish

I do think people are too hasty in calling anything that involves the pursuit of pleasure hedonism have been guilt tripped into thinking life is must be devoted to serving others.

Business wise, the main reason I think America has done so well is because people have been allowed to openly pursue pleasure for themselves and project their egos all over the place. The best example I can give is Steve Jobs, that dude was an egomaniac and he created one of the most successful companies the 21st century as seen so far. You can apply this to virtually anything great a western country has done and it all comes back to the pursuit of ego. Through the healthy pursuit of ego, you are able to truly benefit other human beings other than solely being a servant.

Spamalot
Spamalot

@Spazyfool

I'm not adamant about my interpretation of what I've read of him, but Camus seemed to make a good job of transitioning from nihilism to, his line of thought, Absurdism, whereby you might as well have a kick out of life then.

TreeEater
TreeEater

@Spamalot
Which is also, AGAIN, just yet another flavor of pretentious hedonism.

Evilember
Evilember

@TreeEater
Everything is hedonism; fucking deal with it.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@Spazyfool
Can you be nihilistic and hedonistic at the same time
Sure, if you are mostly ignorant of philosophy.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@Evilember
The sky is red, fucking deal with it you ignorant shitlord.
kill yourself

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@Firespawn
Calling yourself nihilistic demonstrates ignorance of philosophy. Nietzsche was a moron.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@BunnyJinx
wah wah everything that ever has been has been the result of people pursuing their own ego; the pursuit of pleasure. wah wah i can't fucking deal with it wah wah wah.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@Supergrass
"Everyone who isn't as reductionist and offended as me is immature! I'm super enlightened! Notice my fedora!"
I'd bet my life you're largely ignorant of neurobiology.

iluvmen
iluvmen

@Boy_vs_Girl
WAAAAAAAH

lol you're a fucking baby kill yourself

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@iluvmen
You realize how pathetic you are, don't you?

Methnerd
Methnerd

@Poker_Star
hey guyz i read a wikipedia article on neurobiology

Suck a dick.

RavySnake
RavySnake

@Methnerd
So what is it that has you so easily triggered?
Why are you so emotionally invested in the worthlessness of all ideology?

Someone you're jealous of? Did something terrible you can't forget or forgive yourself for? Just plain terrified of the idea that your own laziness and cowardice might rank you last on any reasonable scale of human achievement? Why the emotional distress? Did you think 8ch was your safe space?

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@RavySnake
wow you're so fucking gay

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@RavySnake
wow you're so fucking gay lmao

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@TurtleCat
@AwesomeTucker
You did poorly.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Sure you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Nihilism and hedonism alike are both degenerate and detrimental to civilisations and one's well-being, and the former is rather quite stupid.

eGremlin
eGremlin

EVERYBODY ITT

Supergrass
Supergrass

Wouldn't that basically be existentialism?

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@Spazyfool
Sure buddy, I don't think anyone in the nihilist club is going to care if you decide to drown yourself in pleasure. But be warned that losing yourself too deep into any of the short-sighted varieties of hedonism does have consequences that you might want to prepare for, depending on how much of a fuck you give.
My personal recommendation is to mix some Epicureanism with your nihilism.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@Spazyfool
In the shallow sense yes
nihilism is erasing all previous concepts that you may have unintentionally believed
hedonism is the pursuit of pleasure so

Methnerd
Methnerd

op here
some of you niggers in this thread are making implications that I consider myself to be a hedonist or nihilist when in fact I'm a christian. I simply wanted to know if hedonism is in direct conflict with nihilism, but it appears not so.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

gbgb

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

yes

FastChef
FastChef

Nihilism states the inherent quality of things by the reasoning of beings who fundamentaly oppose it's premise. There are no nihilist, you can be skeptical, but you think things matter,and think they exist, how can you know they don't?

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content